
Iowa police say six teenagers were arrested and charged in connection with a Monday shooting outside of a high school that killed one teenager and injured another two.
The teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 17, were all charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder for their alleged involvement in a shooting outside East High School, the Des Moines Police Department said on Facebook.
Just before 3 p.m. on Monday, police received several calls regarding a shooting outside of the high school, with reports of multiple injuries. After officers arrived, they found a 15-year-old male, a 16-year-old female and an 18-year-old female injured near the parking lot.
Police determined the 15-year-old was the intended target of the drive-by shooting but was not a student at East High. He later died at the hospital. Both of the female victims remain in the hospital. The 16-year-old is in serious condition, and the 18-year-old remains in critical condition, according to police.
The district said in a news release the school was immediately put into lockdown and students were kept inside as police investigated. Shortly after the incident, police Sergeant Paul Parizek said the suspects had been detained, and the students were dismissed around 3:30 p.m.
During the investigation, police said they located several shell casings at the scene. Police detectives executed multiple search warrants for vehicles and residences and recovered several firearms, the department said on Facebook.
Police charged 17-year-old Octavio Lopez, 14-year-old Nyang Chamdual, 16-year-old Manuel Buezo, 16-year-old Romero Perdomo, 15-year-old Alex Perdomo and 17-year-old Henry Valladares-Amaya, according to local TV station KCCI.
Newsweek reached out to the Des Moines police for comment but did not hear back by publication time.
Update 03/08/22, 11:44 a.m. ET: This story has been updated with more background and information.

Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images
Iowa police say six teenagers were arrested and charged in connection with a Monday shooting outside of a high school that killed one teenager and injured another two.The teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 17, were all charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder for their alleged involvement in a shooting outside East High School, the Des Moines Police Department said on Facebook.Just before 3 p.m. on Monday, police received several calls regarding a shooting outside of the high school, with reports of multiple injuries. After officers arrived, they found a 15-year-old male, a 16-year-old female and an 18-year-old female injured near the parking lot.Police determined the 15-year-old was the intended target of the drive-by shooting but was not a student at East High. He later died at the hospital. Both of the female victims remain in the hospital. The 16-year-old is in serious condition, and the 18-year-old remains in critical condition, according to police.The district said in a news release the school was immediately put into lockdown and students were kept inside as police investigated. Shortly after the incident, police Sergeant Paul Parizek said the suspects had been detained, and the students were dismissed around 3:30 p.m.During the investigation, police said they located several shell casings at the scene. Police detectives executed multiple search warrants for vehicles and residences and recovered several firearms, the department said on Facebook.Police charged 17-year-old Octavio Lopez, 14-year-old Nyang Chamdual, 16-year-old Manuel Buezo, 16-year-old Romero Perdomo, 15-year-old Alex Perdomo and 17-year-old Henry Valladares-Amaya, according to local TV station KCCI.Newsweek reached out to the Des Moines police for comment but did not hear back by publication time.Update 03/08/22, 11:44 a.m. ET: This story has been updated with more background and information. Iowa police arrested and charged six teenagers in connection with a fatal shooting on Monday outside of East High School near Des Moines. Above, police officers arrest a demonstrator in Louisville, Kentucky, on September 23, 2020. Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images